Tuesday, April 4, 2017

A Brief History of Timekeeping

One of the elements that occasionally crosses my mind when I am worldbuilding a new culture is how the people tell time. Usually, the cultures I create are advanced enough for normal clocks, but in the story that I'm writing for Camp NaNoWriMo April the way the tribe of the Lajar tells time is with a sundial.

Or––a moon-dial, since the Lajar are a night-dwelling society since the sunlight that beats down on the Endless Waste of the desert moon of Dekartaal is extremely harsh. I've been contemplating exactly how the moonlight could help tell time. Oh well, I'll have to figure it out :3

Anyway, I found this video on the history of timekeeping on youtube. It's an interesting, engaging video––which even explains how quartz crystals help drive clocks. I never knew that quartz conducts electricity! That can totally be used to help with worldbuilding in the future!


I'll tag this under "for future reference" and listed on a page "Worldbuilder's Library" so you can find this quickly in the future when it's no longer a recent post. Yay for interesting videos! Awfully addictive, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranger's Apprentice: The Battle for Skandia, a review

The Battle for Skandia . John Flanagan. 2006. Puffin Books. Pages: 294. Price: USD $8.99/$11.99 CAN. Setting: Skandia. ISBN 0142413402. [S...