Thursday, November 26, 2015

Do Not Let the Distractions Win!

It's that time of NaNoWriMo again where we're down to the crunch and some of us are running out of things to write, and/or unsure of what to write next.

For me, this year, I had planned my novel almost to months in advance while battling through Math 30 - which I was upgrading my math with (thank goodness I'm done with that). I thought I was ready to go and that I could handle a 40/50 year old protagonist who is also a captain and has family troubles concerning his daughter.

When I began to write, I quickly realized how unprepared I was for the story that was The Infinity Machine. I've struggled through the novel all month while juggling driving my brother to school - it's his first year in the private school since he was in Grade 1, and Mom's on painkillers for her knee so she isn't supposed to be driving - and helping around the house. I also promised myself that I would spend more time with my family, which means sitting down in the living room while writing (which is nigh impossible since the TV is almost constantly on with the news blaring about terrorist attacks and terrorist sightings. Do you know how distracting that is?), playing video games with my mother and brother (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze with Mom, Disney Infinity 3.0 with my brother), helping out with meals, and watching Dancing With the Stars (yayy! Bindi Irwin won!!!)

And it doesn't help that I've gotten hooked on BBC's Sherlock! Woe is me!

But I managed to write a total of 3,517 words, which, most of it, I did in the evening. I hope I can do so again tonight.

If anyone doing NaNoWriMo is reading this, I wish you Godspeed. Because if anyone is lagging like me, we need it. Time is obviously not on our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranger's Apprentice: The Battle for Skandia, a review

The Battle for Skandia . John Flanagan. 2006. Puffin Books. Pages: 294. Price: USD $8.99/$11.99 CAN. Setting: Skandia. ISBN 0142413402. [S...