Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Nail Polish Continents

Today, I looked at my nails and decided that they need to be redone before me and my family go camping the day after tomorrow. I still haven't painted my nails, and I probably won't until tomorrow.

But today, when I looked at my nails, what was left of the old white paint on my left middle finger instantly reminded me of a continent, and I suddenly found myself picking up my small sketch tablet so I could scribble it down, never wanting to forget it. (I'll have to take a picture of the boring outline of the continent and its island when I have the time.) This was one of the first times I had ever gained inspiration from my own person when I was examining how much nail polish I would have to remove before I could put some more on!

This little continent I've just invented will have to be stored for future reference, probably to be used in some sort of fantasy I might get to write in the future where the world it is on has scattered continents that look more like islands. I'm afraid I'll not be able to use it in this month's Camp NaNoWriMo. Ha.

Speaking of NaNoWriMo, here's my word count.

Word Count: 18 327
The Word Count I'm supposed to Have Today: 22 580 or higher

I can do this! I can ignore all distractions and plow ahead. I have another story calling my name, but I'm trying to resist its call, and my mother was filling my head with ideas of writing a novel to tie all the loose ends of The Pretender (a show my parents have gotten me hooked on that I'm nowhere near done watching) together, since the channel it was being aired on abruptly shut it down without giving the producers any chance to finish it so that they could go on to air JAG.

(Though, I can't be mad at the existence of JAG, though, because if there was no JAG, there would be no NCIS or NCIS:LA.)

There's a bunch of other things trying to pull my attention away from NaNoWriMo, but I will not let them! (lol)

~ Mikaela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranger's Apprentice: The Battle for Skandia, a review

The Battle for Skandia . John Flanagan. 2006. Puffin Books. Pages: 294. Price: USD $8.99/$11.99 CAN. Setting: Skandia. ISBN 0142413402. [S...